Tuesday, June 22, 2010

2006 - Warsaw - day 1

It was a long flight. One hour stop in Vienna added to the tiredness. Finally Warsaw. Beautiful weather. I expected a family friend to pick me up from the airport, but he seemed to be late. I felt so impatient, that decided to take taxi to his place, from there we will call him to come back.
Ooops. There was nobody in his flat. What to do? I had no means to contact him, nor to call taxi and return to the airport.
But we lived in this house many, many years ago. There had still to live here some of our old neighbours. But where? There was no list of inhabitants. I sat on the bench and waited patiently until some familiar face showed up. Here he was, on the balcony on the third floor.
- Hello neighbour! Do you remember me?
- To be honest, I do not remember.
- Oh, we lived here 24 years ago. On the ground floor. You must remember my wife.
- Aha, now I recognise you. Come in.
After half an hour all confusion has been sorted out and I was delivered to my destination. I got new shot of energy. Quickly, shower, change dress, go to the City. Around me everything so well known and so new. I landed at the square in front of The Royal Castle where I met some friends. We went together to a restaurant serving traditional Polish dumplings. Tiredness returned. I was driven home during a violent storm and beautiful lightnings. What a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment