Friday, June 25, 2010

2006 - Poland - Girls on the train

Girl cries.
Central train station in Warsaw. I looked through newspapers in a news agency when I heard:
- I bought a while ago a pack of cigarettes, where are they?
- Yes? - says the selling girl.
- I told you clearly. Where are cigarettes which I bought!
- I do not know. I serve customers, do not check what they've done with goods they bought.
- I have a train in few minutes. Give me quickly cigarettes for which I paid!
The girl ignores him. After a while he returns with more outspoken friend.
- Please give immediately the cigarettes..! I will block the queue..! Who stole cigarettes??
I got angry with this noise.
- Please, do not shut so much. If your goods were stolen, then call the police.
- Do not make idiot of me! - He threw me a hateful look.
I go out and look for some police or security. In vain. The young men did not succeed either. They came to me:
- Shame on you! Old man and against young.
I looked up in the ceiling. They went away swearing. I looked back into the shop. The girl cried. I felt very helpless.
Girl laughs.
- What time have you started a working day? - I asked a conductor in the train to Bialystok.
- At 4 am. I work 12 hours. Will finish at 4 pm.
- Hard work.
- Not at all. Very good job. I could have retired earlier but did not want. But now they will retire me in few months.
- And you will be free.
- What for this freedom? What will I be doing? I live in the forest - her eyes brighten. In the deep forest, you cannot imagine how deep. But what I could do there? I will move to my mother. She is 83 but still does everything around herself. And my grandpa - you know? He died when he was 96. Yes, 96. On Sunday he still went to the church. Because he was so thin as you. And on Tuesday he died.
- It was a good death.
- Because he did not visit any doctors. If you do not see doctors, you die fast and light. Otherwise, you suffer for years.
Girl rebels.
Return train to Warsaw.
- What a fantastic youth we have. In the next carriage there is a group of schoolgirls. When they learned I am a teacher, they invited me to play bridge. How joyful and cheerful they were.
- Are you happy to return to work?
- You must be joking! After work I have to spend same time giving private lessons to make ends meet. And now we have this new minister and his education changes. I am only waiting for kids to organize some demonstration. I will join them!
Girl questions.
Warsaw metro. I read the daily paper.
- What are they writing today?
- I do not know, just looked through sport columns.
- Are you only reading about sport or doing it?
- I am trying to do.
- What sport?
- Cross country skiing.
- O, this is a good sport. And I played volleyball. Yes, mister. I even played in the World Championship. In Paris in 1953. Well, it was only universities championship. But still world championship.
- This is a great success.
- Well. It still keeps me healthy. I do not need all this health services. Why should I pay taxes for it if I don't use it? Those who need should pay!
I stayed silent as in such system, I would go bankrupt soon.
- Nice talking to you , mister. I am getting off here, to the cemetery. Good bye!
- Good bye

No comments:

Post a Comment