Sunday, June 6, 2010

2006 - Singapore - Day 2

Saturday. I had good sleep. Near my hotel, there were many churches, four in our street, all Christian, two of them Catholic. I went for a morning mass. In the church some 40 people. After the mass, I returned to hotel to have breakfast. Choice of food - hard boiled eggs, rice with vegetables, cooked beans, something between a pancake and bread, some white jelly. I ate a bit of everything and walked to the city.
First stop - Raffles Hotel. There is a small museum where I could read how Mr Gavin shot a tiger which hid under the billiard table. There were also comments of famous guests who stayed in the hotel - Rudyard Kipling, Somerset Maugham. Joseph Conrad said: Raffles is airy like a birdcage. Typical Conrad - always a bit ambiguous.
Then a boat ride on the river. Rain forced us few times to hide in the cabin. When there was no rain we could see Singapore landmark - Merlion, and also many bridges and interesting buildings.
Rain stopped just in time for a visit to Little India. Well, that's how I imagined India. Later I walked through old China - it was more interesting for me.
I extended my room till 7 pm to have a place to rest before my departure. After all these walks I decided to have some rest. I woke up in total darkness. Panic! Panic! I missed my plane!
False alarm. I forgot that there were no windows in my room. Still lots of time for evening meal and friendly talk with hotel manager. Then to the airport, Austrian Airlines took off to Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment