Monday, June 24, 2019

Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi  - last Thursday I watched on SBS the Polish news and there it was - relation from celebrating Corpus Christi in Poland.
It is a public holiday and in every town or village there is a ceremonial procession.
It goes quite a distance in main streets of the town. The priest carries all the way a monstrance with a host, there are 4 altars on the way. At each of altars the procession stops, there is short reading from the Gospel, blessing of the faithful and the procession continues.
Here are links to 2 video clips from last Thursday taken in small towns:

Here comes my story...
The celebration was held in Poland even during hardest Communist rule. 
I remember clearly one such event.
We got day off from school on Thursday, but we were offered a mandatory excursion to some attractive location. Food and entertainment provided.
I announced it to my mother, she looked at me - but you will not go because tomorrow is Corpus Christi.
But, it is mandatory, they will request clear explanation.
So you will tell them, that your mother ordered you to go.
And we went.

At the procession I noticed one of my school colleagues with his mother.
She approached us and whispered to my mother:
Do you want a medical certificate for your son? My husband is a doctor, he can provide you with one.
But THEY see us here - replied my mother - you husband takes unnecessary risk. Thank you very much.

I was devastated.
My mother shook her head - what a nonsense, to cheat about your religion. THEY probably would be satisfied - it would mean we practice our faith in fear.

Next day, just when I entered school, there was young activist waiting for me.
Why you did not join us at the excursion?
Because my mother ordered me to go to procession.
The activist almost choked on such an answer.
So tell your mother, to shift you to some school teaching practical trade because we will take care that you will not be accepted to any university.
I wandered till evening around the city being afraid to bring this to my mother.
Eventually I came home and told her.
I could see that she was shaken, but she said.
We did not deny our God, our God will not deny us. Even without university degree you may have a decent life.

1.5 years later (October 1956) there was a shake up of Communist system and significant relaxation of policy.
In 1958 I was accepted to the university without any problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment