Monday, July 1, 2019

The lemon table

The Lemon TableThe Lemon Table by Julian Barnes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Like with all J. Barnes books I got very mixed feelings.
For me the main topic of the book is ageing. In majority of cases it does not look good, in some cases - disgusting.
For me the question was - do people change to worse when they grow old or it is just that in this age their weak points are more obvious?
Here is my disappointment with the author - it looks that these people exist and function quite well in their own, familiar environment. It is just the author with his spying glass, who makes them repulsive. Not nice approach Mr Barnes.
P.S. Of all stories I liked most these two which took place in Scandinavia - Mats Israelson story - Sweden, and Silence - Finland (I know that it is not exactly Scandinavia ;). First one - there was nothing wrong with the person getting old. Second one - the story moves along full life of the main character and shows him as a difficult one all the time, not just when old.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment