Friday, April 19, 2013

A soldier who did not exist

ANZAC Day is coming closer. In supermarkets one can meet the forerunners - old gentlemen ih a poppy in a buttonhole and and tray with memorial badges. Such as this one..



- Are you a war veteran? - I asked politely. The gentlemen nodded with a smile.
- From which war? - I tried to judge his age - maybe Korean?
- No, from the big one, the Second World War?
- The Second World War? Wow!
- You do not believe me? Here is my photo - he pulled out a yellowing book and showed a photo of young man in a slouch hat.
- Where did you fight? Africa, Europe?
- No, closer to home - Papua New Gwinea, East Timor.
- Kokoda Trail?
- No. I served in a special unit, something like today's SAS. We were dropped behind enemy lines and our task was to kill Japanese commanders.
- You lived in a jungle and hunted enemy commanders?
- Yes, full 6 years.
- Unbelievable. I suppose you wrote a book about it.
- No. We made oath not to disclose any details for the rest of our lives.
- But after some 50 years all records are usually disclosed..
- There are no records. All was destroyed after the war. At the very beginning we were told, that there will be no promotions and we will not receive any war medals. In fact we were told, that we are not expected to survive.
- But you survived.
- I am the only one. Wal, I mean Wally, Wallace is my name. - we exchanged a handshake.
- Certainly you will be in the parade on Thursday.
- No. I have nobody to walk with.
Questions, questions crossed my mind. I stepped back and tried to gather my thoughts. When I looked back Wally disappeared. Was it real? Was I day dreaming? I reached into my pocket and found a badge with the slouch hat. So he was here.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lech, thanks for sharing this. How sad, that after risking his life for his country, our freedom, that he does not have anyone to go to the parade with. Where ever Wally is, I say a special prayer for him.

    ReplyDelete