Friday, March 18, 2011

Paderewski's tree

At the end of January, I reported here my search for a tree planted by Ignace Paderewski in Royal Botanic Garden in Melbourne.
As Autumn arrived, I visited it to see if it produced any chestnuts, buckeye chestnuts. I found the tree, but it looked very, very poorly....



Leaves yellowing at the edges, and just a single fruit, which looked dry, empty and dead. I hurried to the visitor's centre and explained my concern to the same lady, who helped me so patiently and kindly in January. She called a horticulturalist for assistance.
He checked some botanical data and explained to me, that this type of chestnut, does not produce actual chestnuts. Chestnuts, which you could eat - he said.
It amused me a bit. I do not come to botanic garden to feed myself. For this purpose, my little secret forest full of mushrooms, will do quite nicely.
But I did not mention it to the horticulturalist. He might have called the ambulance :))))

No comments:

Post a Comment