Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Animula, vagula, blandula...

Animula, vagula, blandula.
Hospes comesque corporis

Quae nunc abibis in loca 
Pallidula, rigida, nudula, 
Nec, ut soles, dabis iocos...
        Written by Roman Emperor Hadrian shortly before his death - CLICK.
Roving, amiable little soul.
Body's companion and guest.
Now departing in regions
pale, cold and bare,
no place for your sense of humour.
 Translated partially by Wikipedia, partially by me.

We just had a shortest day of the year, there is cold and misty outside.
I think with worry about my soul.
My body will not provide a safe and comfortable lodging for it. Not for long anyway.
For so many years I was sure we were .one.
I think we were and somehow it never came to my mind to worry about my inseparable partner - amiable, little soul. So loyal and reliable to me.
And now, I am the weakest link. My body I mean, it will not last long.

I was never convinced to religious way of life.
Now I think with worry, that it could have given me some peace of mind. I could hope that my soul will end in eternal light among millions of heavenly choristers. I do not think with enthusiasm about it, but there is some safety in such a concept.
But without?

No comments:

Post a Comment