Saturday, May 4, 2024

Love etc.

Love, etc.Love, etc. by Julian Barnes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Long time ago I read Talking It Over which we is a prequel to this book.
I do not remember much from this book other than a specific format - instead of plot run by a narrator it was a sort of confession where all characters were reporting their actions, thoughts and reflections to some third party.
I found it interesting.... correction - I found it interesting and entertaining because of Oliver.
I wonder what prompted Julian Barnes to write a sequel, sometimes I think that he would like to be in position of Oliver - simply - J.B. is extremely knowledgable and eloquent - maybe he is longing for a silent and attentive listener/reader.
Returning to the book - unfortunately, this time I found Oliver's phantasies flat and dull. Beside it, his actions or rather lack of those is pathetic.
Other characters - first of all - too many of them. I do not remember how many characters were monitored in Talking It Over, but here -definitely I was confused by them.
Secondly - the plot - to be honest I lost interest in main characters and stopped to worry about them.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment