Thursday, March 14, 2024

The Cellist of Dachau

The Cellist of DachauThe Cellist of Dachau by Martin Goodman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My highest rating for a book in many years.
Amazing book confirming a saying - music starts where the words end.
Of course there are words, 318 pages of them but for most of the book they are very discreet, transcendenting words, music, life, feelings, emotions - impossible to be expressed in other words.
Story line... not just one, few - all of them connecting Holocaust victims and music.

Of course everything comes to the end, here I experienced disappointment - in the last few chapters the author confronts two key characters and tries to explain all what was unclear and mysterious throughout the book. In my opinion it is a failure.
Second thoughts...
Over one week since fished reading - still thinking about connecting in the book quite contradicting story lines. Final conclusion was surprising - Rose - granddaughter of Adiutant of Dachau concentration camp is in some way also a granddaughter of Otto - victim of Holocaust. I do not know if it was authors intention, but I suppose he could expect such conclusions.
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment