Friday, June 2, 2023

Apeirogon - book

 

ApeirogonApeirogon by Colum McCann
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Started reading this book knowing what it is about.
After first few chapters I hated it.
The topic is a very human and noble initiative which is still developing in a very difficult and rather hostile environment.
I expected to get a honest and based on solid knowledge story.
What I got?
Story fragmented into few hundred pieced, mixed with another few hundred more or less relevant (or irrelevant) pieces.
After some 250 chapters (out of 1001) I got enough, the rest I could find on Internet.
Luckily I found also an information, that two main characters of the story - Bassam and Rami - were actually in Melbourne and there is a public meeting.
Luckily I managed to get a ticket!!!



Basically I did not learn anything new, but I was touched by humility and characters of both men.
Important point was that the meeting was an extremely modest event. It reinforced my conscience that they are surrounded by an indifferent, sometimes hostile environment.
I thought, that I should not abandon them and I completed the book.
I did not learn much new, but I found that last 500 chapters were written more smoothly.
Unfortunately I also realised, that some vital information is missing, I hope it is not intentional.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment