Saturday, December 10, 2022

The Mother

The MotherThe Mother by Jane Caro
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I admired Jane's Caro books about Queen Elisabeth I, so this book was bit of a shock.
From the very beginning I did not feel comfortable in the company of characters presented in the book. 
Firstly - childhood of Miriam, then her constant concern with her own feelings and behaviour. Even her marriage to Pete looked a bit unclear to me.
Then marriage of Ally and Nick. Firstly I could not visualize how they met each other, he was a vet working all days in a small town far away from Sydney. Then - duality of Nick's character.
I got impression that the author was building artificial characters just to satisfy the scenario she prepared for them.
I stopped reading when I found the story going into cruelty, horror and too many legal details.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment