Friday, March 15, 2019

The Tenth Man

The Tenth ManThe Tenth Man by Graham Greene
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

France during the II World War. Hostages imprisoned in German jail. Last night there were 3 casualties of French Resistance action so 3 hostages will be shot dead.
They draw lots.
One of death lots is drawn by a quite affluent person. He makes an offer - I will give my whole fortune to the estate of anyone who will take my lot.
There is a candidate, they prepare proper documentation.
The war ends, the man who bought his life does not dare to return to the society. He tries to find some job, but fails and falls into poverty. He gives in to temptation to visit his estate pretending to be a accidental survivor from the hostages prison cell.
At that point I expected quite a lot. It looked me as a favourite territory of Graham Greene - dubious character in strange environment.
And here came total surprise.
Well, kind of disappointment for me although I cannot resist smile .

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment