Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Over to you

Over to YouOver to You by Roald Dahl
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I know Roald Dahl from bit perverse stories for adults, published in mid 1950-ties in Poland. It was a great surprise for me to find this author many years later on shelves with books for children.
Over to you - already the title is quite ambiguous - I wonder what it means to other readers.
I see it as a routine in military radio communication - when each person ending his/her message says - over.
Military communication, right, the book is based on author's experience as RAF pilot during II World War. Roald Dahl serves in Africa, Middle East and Greece. He experienced a very serious airplane crash.
10 stories in the book are short snapshots of war experiences of the author and his colleagues. In most cases, experiences for which no human is prepared.
Some stories are shocking, but I do not think author's intention was to shock the readers. Rather to show them how helpless we all might be.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment