Saturday, September 7, 2024

Lessons in Chemistry

Lessons in ChemistryLessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Initially I liked this book very much.
The style, dialogs, surprising associations.
Further in the book I found some quite naive motifs - mostly those touching science and religion.
Not only naive, also angry.
Plus lots and lots extreme exaggerations, arrogance.
Mostly beautiful woman, most clever man, same applies to the dog and to the daughter. Actually I felt very sorry for her - child without childhood.
Finally - on one hand I liked descriptions of TV Shows, on the other one I was confused with a number of contradictory situations and number of manila envelopes sent in many directions.
One more points - the story of Calvin Evans childhood, in my opinion, went completely off the rails.
At that stage I gave this book 3 stars.
After few days I cooled down and thought about it as the author making a joke.
I raised rating to 4 stars.
P.S. I learned that the book has been converted to a TV serial, what is interesting - Harriet, the neighbour is black.
I cannot believe that her husband- a monster, could be black in the movie.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment