Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death

Oscar Wilde and the Ring of DeathOscar Wilde and the Ring of Death by Gyles Brandreth
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

"... I noted down the wines in my journal especially: with the fish, an extraordinarily silky white Burgundy; with the beef, an 1888 Margaux so mellow...".
This part of the book interested me most - menus and wine lists.
Impressive!
Also a lifestyle of these rich and famous in 1892 London - meeting friends in cafes and restaurants. Visiting libraries, theatres, sometimes even spending night in own home.
Children's governess asking whether mother and her guest would join children for a lunch.
I had a full trust that the author very accurately pictured a week in a life of Oscar Wilde and his friends.
As for the main topic - the ring of death - I found the idea quite bizarre and disgusting, but I assume it let the author to put some nerve in otherwise very decadent life of main characters. It allowed also to present great detective talent of Oscar Wilde.
Summarising - thoroughly investigated and perfectly presented story about nothing.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment