Friday, June 18, 2021

Music you can live without

Basically I am quite sceptical about opinion polls.
ABC/Classic's 100 countdown is an exception.
Reason is very simple - it does not promote any consumables nor any actions. Just music.

This year though it stirred some negative emotions - just the title - Music you can't live without .

It brought to my imagination an image of a young, visibly overweight person, pushing forcefully a monstrous sandwich into his/her mouth and gasping - I am starving. 

The point is that we can live without music as this person would not starve without this sandwich.

This title I interpreted as an outcome of self-centered universe ruled by enormously inflated I.

 I expected ABC/Classic to avoid this trap. I was wrong.

The results are:
1. Beethoven - Piano Concerto No 5.
2. Beethoven - Symphony No 9.
3. Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending.
4. Vivaldi -The four Seasons.
5. Elgar - Enigma Variations.

Piano Concerto No 5 - I agree.

In my young years my musical experiences were limited to weekly concerts of Warsaw Philharmonic and the program of Polish Radio.
Somehow I got a number of chances to listen, on radio and live, to Beethoven's Piano Concerto No 4, but Number 5 - never.
I was already in my mid-twenties when it came on me,  unexpectedly, just part 1 - Allegro.
The impact was paralyzing, probably one of most memorable in my life...
But the piece ended, over 50 years ago, and I am still alive.

So to stay alive on a lighter note I recommend a quiz available on ABC/Classic website

Can you recognize a classical piece after hearing just the first note?

A link to Beethoven - HERE

To J.S. Bach - HERE.

I got some reasons for satisfaction...


At the end  - my choice - Opening chorus from J.S. Bach's St Matthew Passion.
I specifically selected performers dressed suitably for our current weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment