Friday, May 1, 2020

Arthur and George

Arthur & GeorgeArthur & George by Julian Barnes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read at least eight J. Barnes' books and in most of them, exceptions are some short stories, I got impression, that the author is not telling the story, but testing some ideas or writing styles.
Arthur and George takes enough space (580 pages) to test/present more than one genre.
Test 1 - George - young person completely dehumanized, reduced to just one dimension.
Test 2 - mysterious letters - long, much too long, relation of absolutely nonsensical letters and some malicious actions.
Test 3 - George 1 - young person of noble background and greater than life personality. Author speeds through numerous events not giving reader a chance to be closer to this great character.
Test 4 - Law 1 - some nonsensical cruel events happen. Innocent person is charged. Detailed description of police inquiry and proceedings in the court.
This part I appreciated most.
Test 5 - George 2 - person in prime of his life put in circumstances which should not happen to real gentlemen. Very interesting yarn, but author avoids deeper engagement.
Test 6 - Law 2 - revision of test 4. Again, very interesting and engaging story. Apparently author feels comfortable in this environment.
Test 7 - George, maturity. Like George 2 - author keeps all the time a safe distance, which does not allow the reader to warm up to this exceptional person.
Summary.
I have no idea what was the purpose of writing this book. I have to admit, that at least 3 times I was close to abandoning it. I ended feeling not satisfied.
What I would like to now, is to read Arthur Conan Doyle life story. Not dry biography, just a good story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment