Sunday, April 1, 2012

YMCA - no country for old men

From time to time I visit Ashburton swimming pool, which is managed by YMCA - Young Men's Christian Association). This year they raised the entry fee - $4.40 for concession ticket. It looks as 25% increase. For a pensioner it is not cheap. For $22 I can visit Melbourne Recital Centre - first class concert venue - and enjoy Mostly Mozart concert performed by world class orchestra. This is only 5 times more expensive than entry to a very average swimming pool. I visit the pool in low peak hours. Very often I am the only swimmer in the outdoor pool and, I suppose, the lifeguard must be very bored watching my slow progress in the water.
Previously, when the price was $3.60, I could buy a card for 10 entries for $33. I think that was a fair deal - company was paid upfront at least for a month and got a faithful client. Now, cards for 10 swims are still available, but with no discount at all. I do not see any sense in it.
I see my world shrinking. As a member of charity organisation, I visit frequently people pushed out on the margins of the society. Less and less space for less efficient people.
Fortunately we live in a prosperous country with solid safety nets, with network of charity organisations, with generous sponsors. So people receive help and support they need. Sometimes I think - maybe they would have not needed so much help if there was some space for them in the mainstream of the society.
Anyway, I do not need so much swimming, I can extend my bike rides beyond Ashburton swimming pool. Bike paths are still for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment