Saturday, June 26, 2010

2006 - Chamonix - Language of Faith

Last Sunday in Chamonix, we went to the Catholic Mass. Mass was read in French.
I still remember Latin masses from my childhood. The choir sang: .. Deum de Deo, Lumen de Lumine, and I whispered - Domine Jesu Christi. I had real faith at that time.
How different associations I have for words - Lord Jesus...
Actually, Lord Jesus means nothing to me, just words. But in Polish - Panie Jezu - that means a wooden figure of troubled Christ.
German - Herr Jesus - appears to me in business dress, with briefcase. A clerk ready to run with me through a list of my credits and faults.
Italian - Signore Gesu - is a Father of Sicilian Family. Smiles to me and extends to me his hand to be kissed.
And here I heard - Seigneur Jesu. Seigneur? I saw a medieval noble chevalier, on horse, in glittering armor. His head was bare, long blond hair were falling on his shoulders.
- Seigneur Jesu - I whispered. The rider turned head towards me, smiled, there was attention and encouragement in his face.
What a pity I coud not speak French.

No comments:

Post a Comment